Vet issue urgent warning

Vets issue urgent warning after cat is nearly killed from licking a Himalayan salt lamp

Vets issue warning

Maddie Smith’s cat Ruby (pictured) was nearly killed after licking a Himalayan salt lamp

A vet has issued a warning for pet owners after a cat was nearly killed from licking a Himalayan salt lamp in New Zealand.

Maddie Smith noticed her cat, Ruby, was acting strangely, and assumed it was due to the cold weather.

After returning from work that evening, Ruby’s condition had deteriorated and she was unable to walk, eat or drink and was struggling to see and hear. 

Ms Smith took her to a vet who said she was suffering from brain swelling due to sodium poisoning.

Vets issue warning

A vet has issued a warning that Himalayan salt lamps can be life-threatening to pets (stock picture)

Sodium poisoning can be life-threatening for pets, with symptoms including seizures, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of coordination.

Himalayan salt lamps are a common item in many households, and pet owners are being warned to keep an eye on their animalss as the lights can be tempting for them.

In a Facebook post warning other pet owners, Ms Smith said she was unaware that Ruby had been ingesting salt from licking the lamp, and was unaware of the consequences of increased sodium in her system.

Ms Smith has removed the salt lamp from her home.

Vets issue warning

Rose Avenue Vet Hospital/Maddie Smith’s Facebook post warning pet owners about the lamps

Source: Daily Mail

——————————————————————————————

Disclaimer: The information produced by Infurmation is provided for general and educational purposes only and does not constitute any legal, medical or other professional advice on any subject matter. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease. Always seek the advice of your vet or other qualified health care provider prior to starting any new diet or treatment and with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you suspect that your pet has a medical problem, promptly contact your health care provider.