At the start of every year, many of us make resolutions to eat healthier, exercise more, save more money and get more organised. When it comes to eating healthier, Whiskas encourages us to include our beloved feline friends in our positive plans for 2020, especially when it comes to getting a balanced diet.
A balanced diet for cats means including wet and dry feeding in their daily food regimes. This will ensure their nutritional requirements are met and reduce the risk of overeating, keeping them healthy in every phase of their lives.
Giving our cats wet food with their daily dose of dry food will help prevent the development of uncomfortable conditions such as tooth decay or bladder stones as they age. While the abrasiveness of dry food helps remove plaque from our cats’ teeth, wet food provides them with more moisture and ensures they enjoy the benefits of a higher daily water intake, thereby increasing urine volume and dilution.
Research conducted by the Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition found that the intake of both dry and wet food is important as they offer different benefits:
Whiskas suggests one third of dry cat food with two thirds of wet food daily – for kittens and older cats alike. It is important to remember that even with a combination of wet and dry food, cats’ diet plans will change based on their age, weight and breed. Ensure regular visits with your local vet to make sure your feline friend is getting their optimal nutritional requirements.
A cat’s diet is just as important as a human diet. Making sure we understand their nutritional needs will ensure our furry friends will live healthier and happier lives.
Other posts by WHISKAS®
- WHISKAS® celebrates Animal Shelter Appreciation Week with local animal shelters in Gauteng
- WHISKAS® Decodes Your Cat’s Love Language
- Whiskas® scoops coolest pet food award, and we are paw-sitively ecstatic!
- We’re Going to Kitten Kollege with Whiskas®
- Dreams Do Come True – Life-Changing Animal Sterilisation Clinic Completed
- Feed Your Cat’s Curiosity with WHISKAS® Meaty Nugget Taste Sensation
- Pets and Fireworks: Six ways to keep your animals safe this festive season
- Whiskas: Give Your Cat The Best Of Both Worlds
- Tips For Feeding Kittens